SALAMAT Code of Conduct
The SALAMAT Board of Directors has the authority to adopt a Code of Conduct to which all SALAMAT members will adhere to.
This Code of Conduct expresses SALAMAT’s commitment to consolidate the institutional image of the Association as an example of integrity, accountability and professional ethical standards – relating to SALAMAT members as well as their relationship with the Association and the public. This Code is subject to relevant international human rights law and shall be read in a manner that is compliant with that law.
Code of Conduct: Standards and Values
As a SALAMAT employee I will:
1. Uphold the integrity and reputation of SALAMAT by ensuring that my professional and personal conduct is demonstrably consistent with SALAMAT’s values and standards. I will seek to maintain and enhance public confidence in SALAMAT by being accountable for the professional and personal actions I take and ensuring that I manage the power that comes with my SALAMAT position with appropriate restraint. Whilst observing the requirements of the Code of Conduct, I will also be sensitive to, and respectful of, local customs and culture, even if the norms and values in that cultural context differ from the Code of Conduct. I will if necessary, seek (and will receive) support and advice from SALAMAT. I will not work under the influence of alcohol or use, or be in possession of, illegal substances on SALAMAT premises, vehicles or accommodation.
2. Treat all people with respect and dignity and challenge any form of harassment, discrimination, intimidation, exploitation or abuse. When carrying out SALAMAT’s mission I understand that it is important not to abuse my own position of power/unequal power relationships in any way.
Recognising my role in SALAMAT’s mission to promote health, I will respect all peoples’ rights, including children’s rights, and I will contribute to a working environment characterised by mutual respect, integrity, dignity and non-discrimination.
I will ensure that my relationships and behaviour are not exploitative, abusive or corrupt in any way, and I will not engage in any form of sexual abuse or exploitation of any persons of any age.
In line with international standards I will not have sexual relations with children (defined as under 18 years old) or with patients (in exchange for assistance or any other reason) recognising the inherent unequal power dynamics involved, and that such behaviours can undermine the integrity and credibility of SALAMAT’s work. I will also not exchange money, offers of employment, employment, goods or services for sex or sexual favours, nor any other forms of humiliating, degrading or exploitative behaviour, understanding that these standards exist to challenge sexually exploitative and abusive behaviour. I will use my best endeavours to report any such behaviours or malpractice in the workplace by others to SALAMAT board.
3. Perform my duties and conduct my private life in a manner that avoids possible conflicts of interest with the work of SALAMAT. I will declare any financial, personal, family (or close intimate relationship) interest in matters of official business which may impact on the work of SALAMAT).
I will advise SALAMAT of any intention to seek a nomination as a prospective candidate or another official role for any political party or public office to clarify whether any conflict, or perceived conflicts, with my duties with SALAMAT may arise.
The giving and acceptance of gifts is normal cultural practice in Sudan, However, I will ensure that such gifts are within the limits of reasonable judgements and in accordance with procurement policies and I will report gifts and where appropriate hand them onto SALAMAT.
I will assure that assistance by SALAMAT is not provided in return of any service or favour from others. I will act against any form of corruption and not offer, promise, give or accept any bribes.
4. Be responsible for the use of information, equipment, money and resources to which I have access by reason of my work with SALAMAT. I will use my discretion when handling sensitive or confidential information. I will seek authorization before communicating externally in SALAMAT’s name and will avoid any unintended detrimental repercussions for me or SALAMAT. I will appropriately account for all SALAMAT money and property, (e.g. vehicles, office equipment, SALAMAT-provided accommodation, computers including the use of internet, email and intranet).
5. Protect the health, safety, security and welfare of all SALAMAT volunteers and contractors. I will undertake and act on appropriate risk assessments.
I will comply with local security management guidelines and be pro-active in informing management of any necessary changes to such guidelines. I will behave in such a way as to avoid any unnecessary risk to the safety, health and welfare of myself and others, including partner organizations and patients.
6. Promote human rights, protect the environment and oppose criminal or unethical activities. I will ensure that my conduct is consistent with the human rights framework to which SALAMAT subscribes. I will use my best endeavours to protect the natural environment and work in a sustainable way. I will contribute to preventing all forms of criminal or unethical activities. I will inform SALAMAT of any relevant criminal convictions or charges I have had prior to my work in which SALAMAT may have a legitimate interest. I will also notify SALAMAT if I face any criminal charges during my work with SALAMAT that may impede my ability to perform the duties of my position subject to national legislation.
In accepting working with Salamat, I undertake to discharge my duties and to regulate my conduct in accordance with the requirements of this Code thereby contributing to SALAMAT’s quality of performance and reputation.
Click here to SALAMAT Code Of Conduct